Friday, October 28, 2016

Exercises to Reduce Back Pain

I just finished a round of physical therapy for back related pain. I switched from an active lifestyle to a "desk job" and that murdered my back. Sure I got some occasional pain from a long spin of gaming, but nothing bad enough to send me to the doctor until I was doing 10+ hours a day on my ass.
While I have been a daily stretcher for years to keep some pains at bay, I left PT with 6 new stretches that took me from literally having moaning in pain by the end of the day (I have felt organ failure, so that's no small amount of pain) and could neither sleep nor get frisky without being completely blinded by the back pain.
While most of them were ones I have been doing for years, I needed to make some adjustments and to learn to use more of my core muscles than rely on my limbs and joins for stabilization.
Here's what's added to my routine which might help others:
Obligatory: Everyone's body is different. Listen to your body if it hurts too much. Don't push yourself too hard. If you can I would highly recommend a few visits with a Physical Therapist to set yourself up with something you can do a few times a week. I only needed three visits in order to make additions and adjustments that made a world of difference. 15-30 minutes of your week to stretch is worth being able to work and play in front of your computer with pain-free focus.

No comments:

Post a Comment