Friday, March 8, 2013

Getting Started with E-Cigarettes: How to Stop Smoking the Real Ones

If you're a smoker, Electronic Cigarettes will change your life.

I was a 2-pack a day smoker for about five years, and a smoker going back more than a decade. I tried my first eCig, decided to stop regular cigarettes cold turkey a week later (after I had smoked through those I had already bought), and I have not had a single cigarette since that time -- approximately 14 months.
It. Freaking. Works.

Let me list it out for you bit by bit:
  • No more smelly clothes/hair/house
  • All the nicotine, none of the carcinogens
  • It is UNBELIEVABLY cheaper
  • You can use eCigs ANYWHERE -- I use them in every restaurant, bar, airports, you name it.
  • There are innumerable options in terms of flavors and nicotine content
  • If your goal is to quit and not just switch to a better way of enjoying nicotine, this is without a doubt the most efficient way to taper down yet devised.
  • Did I mention how much CHEAPER it is?
No joke, if you're a heavy smoker (1-2 packs a day), you'll be chewing through at least $150-200 a month minimum on your habit.

Know how much my eCigs cost me? Less than $100 per 3-4 months.

It seems like most people don't wanna try it because they feel like it's too complicated, too niche, don't know what to buy, et cetera. And in fairness, if you just jump on a message board it's like anything else -- crazy lingo and so many options its overwhelming. Let me make it easy for you:

What eCig Equipment To Buy:
  • Joye eGo Starter Kit -- This is the exact kit I bought when I first got into vaping, and I buy a new kit every 3-4 months when the batteries start to wear out. Moreover, that link goes to the exact company I've been doing business with for more than a year.
  • The system is simple. Charge the batteries, screw in the atomizer, drip the juice into the cotton filled cart (I'll get to juice a little later), put cart in atomizer, press the button, and inhale. You drip when the cart gets dry, you charge when the battery gets low. EZPZ.
  • Replacement Atomizers -- The batteries outlast the atomizers (the little piece that actually vaporizes the juice), so when your vaping starts to seem a little thin compared to when it was fresh out of the box (usually 4-8 weeks per atomizer in my experience), all you have to do is buy a new atomizer, not a whole new kit.
  • Eventually the batteries will get a little iffy, at which point it's usually worthwhile to just buy a new kit... but you get 2 batteries and 2 atomizers per kit, so it really isn't expensive at all. If you're a light smoker or someone looking to quit, a single kit will last you 6 months or longer. Me, being a heavy smoker, I get about 3-4 months per kit most often, with atomizers being between 4-8 weeks per.
  • NOTICE: There's a TON of different variables from brand to brand, part to part, et cetera. What I've listed above is the starter kit plus the correct replacement atomizer JUST FOR THAT BRAND AND MODEL. If you want to get into it and experiment, just be very careful about mixing and matching, as there really is an ABSURD amount of technicality involved in what pieces work together.
The Juice:
  • Halo eLiquid -- There are many options available for juice, hundreds of companies, flavors, you name it. Personally, I use Halo eJuice because they're American made and very high quality. Feel free to explore on your own, but of all the brands I've tried (about a half dozen), I'm a sworn Halo user. Not to mention, their flavors are yummy.
My Favorite Flavors
  • Bella Valente - My go-to flavor, and the one I use at least 75% of the time. If you're a former smoker, especially one who enjoyed cigars, this is definitely up your alley because it tastes VERY much like tobacco, with a nice hint of vanilla.
  • Smooth 8 - A bit more harsh, but in a good way. If you're the type who smokes unfiltered or Marlboro Reds, this is a good place to start. Tastes like very strong tobacco.
  • Tribeca - Good place to start if you're a person who smokes light cigarettes. Very smooth with subtle flavors, all which simulate tobacco well. This is my go-to anytime I'm out of Bella and want something a little softer than Smooth 8.
  • Captain Jack - Delicious if you're drinking whiskey or a strong stout beer. I don't use it often, but when I put it with the right beverage, it's amazing.
Now compared to not smoking anything, they're unhealthy. Nicotine puts a strain on your heart and cardiovascular system, and no matter how much better it is than smoking anything else, it's also a strain on your lungs to ingest a foreign substance and then expel it.

If health is your number one concern, you want to quit nicotine consumption entirely. What works for some may not work for others, but eCigs are a great way to taper down on your way to quitting. It depends on what your goals and priorities are. What's important is that you decide what is right for you, do your research, and make the right decision based on your desires and safety.

source

No comments:

Post a Comment