Friday, March 29, 2013

Putting a Pet Down

When I have a dog that needs to be put to sleep, I talk to the vet the day before. I don't even take my dog with me, I explain to them (if they are a new vet to me... my usual vets know the routine) that I want the dog to have a tranquilizer, for me to have a few minutes with them like that, and when they put them to sleep, for them to leave me alone with the body for at least ten minutes. The reason for that is because they claim that the brain is alive for 4-6 minutes after the heart stops, and I don't want my pet thinking at any time that I had abandoned them at the end of their life. Valium will just relax them and make them feel good, propofol will put them into what is called a twilight sleep... will tell you more about that in a bit. I also sign the consent form on the day before.

But when you go in, hold them, talk to them and just love on them. Let kitty know that she isn't entering this alone, or surrounded with strangers. That you, the great love of her life is there with her.

I am going to ask you to not think about death while going into this. This is going to sound nuts, but on more than one occasion, I have caught my dogs reading my mind (can tell you specifics about that later as well if you want), but just in case she can read your thoughts, think about a benign procedure. Maybe a teeth cleaning, or nail trim.

Anyhow, go, hold her and talk to her.

I don't know of a vet anywhere that will demand that you put kitty to sleep before you are ready. They will allow your pet to die in great pain and naturally, if that is what you so desire. And just because they make a suggestion doesn't mean you have to follow their suggestion. They are medical professionals, not prison wardens. You very much will have free will in the process. But if a suggestion is made (which is unlikely), you are free to say "I am not ready to do that right now". And more often than not, they won't even say that, they will ask you "what do you want to do". About the only way I've been able to elicit suggestions from my vets is by asking "if this were your dog, what would you do", and they would tell me what they would do, if this scenario happened to their pet.

from

No comments:

Post a Comment